Thursday 11 September 2008

Found Wanting

I see from an ad in this morning's newspaper that Robert Goddard's latest book, Found Wanting, is now in the shops. Goddard is the only author whose books I have to buy as soon as possible after they reach the shelves.

It was on a train journey to Plymouth (the reason for which is another story that I might tell one day) when a fellow passenger noticed that I was reading a Wilbur Smith book. He suggested that I might enjoy Robert Goddard's writing and advised reading In Pale Battalions as an introduction to his work. That was, I think, Goddard's second or third book - and I have been hooked ever since, having read all his titles at least twice, several of them (including In Pale Battalions) three or more times.


Add a Goddard: result - bliss!

2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Wilbur Smith!!!
Yeah, he's an author I like... Oh, John Grisham, too, and Edward Rutherford.

Brighton Pensioner said...

I enjoyed Smith's earlier books (especially Eagle in the Sky) but his later ones seem to contain a lot of gratuitous (or superfluous) violence - or maybe it's the detail that I find superfluous. John Grisham is another of my regulars. If you like those two you will also like Goddard. I don't know Edward Rutherford's work, but I'll see if they have any of his books at the library when I next go.