Thursday 18 September 2008

Look behind you!

I've been thinking about (I nearly wrote 'meditating' but decided that sounds just a tad too serious) my positive thought quote of yesterday: "Dwell not on the past". And quite right too - some of the time.

While I would not want to dwell on the past, those words did make me start thinking about the past. And now I come to think of it, I was reminiscing yesterday as well. I suppose when one reaches old age it can be pleasant to recall some of the pleasures of one's springtime. The situation has been exacerbated by the fact that, on Saturday, I shall be going off to the Lake District for a week's holiday with my brother and sister-in-law. That makes it sound as though they live in the Lake District, but in fact they live in Cornwall and we are all meeting up at a rented cottage miles from anywhere.

It is something like 40 years since I was last in the Lakes when I took the Scouts up there for our summer camp. Before that I had spent two separate weeks there on holiday with she who was to become the Old Bat, and even before that, a month on an Outward Bound course.

I was sent on the course by the bank for which I worked. I think the purpose of the Outward Bound courses was to develop leadership abilities and team working by providing training and experience in map reading, first aid, rock climbing and abseiling, canoeing, hiking and camping. The days were supposed to start at 6.00am with a dip in the lake (and bear in mind I was there from mid-October till mid-November). But the trainers took pity on us: we took cold showers instead of having to break the ice on the lake.

Smoking and drinking alcohol were strictly forbidden - and the tea was laced with bromide. At least, it tasted pretty awful. I hardly smoked before I went there; I have hardly stopped since, so I have to question the overall efficacy of the training regime.

At the time, my monthly take-home pay was about £28. I used to think that when I got to earn £30 a month after deductions, I would be rich! Ah my.

Now for today's positive thought.

"Winners make a habit of manufacturing their own positive expectations in advance of the event."

Brian Tracy


Must go - I've a new car to collect. New to me, that is.

No comments: