Thursday 6 November 2008

"Brutus is an honourable man," said Caesar

Others can speak (or write) far more eloquently than I about what the result of the US presidential election might mean for the world generally and the USA in particular. I will restrict myself to saying that it has been an interesting, if long-winded, affair, interesting even for an apolitical animal such as me who lives across the pond. It has been said that this has shown American democracy/politics at its/their best. I only wish we could have politicians in this country who are able to stir up so much interest. All the same, if 140 million people turned out to vote, I wonder how many there were who could not be bothered? It also seems a little odd to me that someone can vote early, but their vote still counts even if they die before election day.

I have been known to declare, in my usual cynical fashion, that politicians are in the business only for what they can get out of it. I still think that is true in many (if not most) cases, although I can name less than a handful of British politician who I have thought of as honourable men. (What a pompous-sounding, old fashioned word that is - 'honourable' - but we could do with hearing it more!) As for the new President-elect, I suppose I shall just have to wait and see, although I can say that I do have my hopes for this one.

4 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Uh, oh!!!
I responded here a couple of hours ago, but it seems to be missing?

As I remember it was relatively intelligible, too.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Well I kida remember that I said something about maybe it was Mark Anthony, rather than Caesar who said it. Then something about it was more like 122 million or the outcome might have been a little different. Lastly, I mentioned that the truly honourable men were usually too forthright and rigorously honest to make enough points so they don't become politicians. I wish I'd remembered my exact words.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Hey, there's someone out there! And, what's more, someone who reads the drivel I write!!
Just checking... :)

Brighton Pensioner said...

As for how many people voted, I can only go on what I see and hear in the British media. They seemed to think it was between 130 and 140 million, so I gave the US electorate the benefit of the doubt.

I suppose one could turn things around and say that as the majority of the electorate did NOT vote for Obama, he didn't win the election? No, that's too simplistic or abstruse or just not workable anyway.