Friday 19 December 2008

Later...

The OB wasn't able to buy any more replacement bulbs so I have been spared the frustration of having to get the lights working once more – even if only for a day or two. BUT ... I am being frustrated by my computer. I have been trying to convert a WordPerfect file into a PDF, but all I manage to get is up to 31 pages of 180 or so. I've tried restoring the computer to a different date, re-installing WordPerfect, but all to no avail. I am one of those people (I assume there might be a few more) who use Microsoft products as little as possible. It's not that I have anything against Microsoft products particularly, but when I first bought a computer there was no word processing or spreadsheet package pre-installed. On investigation, I decided on WordPerfect for WP and Lotus 123 for spreadsheets. I have since decided that WordPerfect is a better programme (when it works!) than Word in that I have greater control over formatting. And I don't use Internet explorer, preferring Mozilla Firefox, or the Microsoft e-mail package (can't remember what that's called). I just read my e-mails off my ISPs web site.

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"...the Microsoft e-mail package (can't remember what that's called)."

There's Outlook and there's Outlook Express. Mozilla has Thunderbird, which functions much like O/E. I use it for composing email. But I check the incoming on the ISP webmail.

Have you tried saving your file as RTF and then converting to PDF?

Brighton Pensioner said...

"Have you tried saving your file as RTF and then converting to PDF?"

I did try that, but it throws out the formatting.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Yes I have. But then I don't use Word Perfect. In fact I have switched to Open Office. It has a built-in PDF converter. All I have to do now is learn how to use the database and calculations programs.