Monday 12 January 2009

Sand weighs...

In "Les Lavandes" I mention that Tom helped me remove the old floor from the upstairs bedroom and that we calculated we must have moved about three tons of tiles and sand. I have now discovered that lean quartz sand weighs 80-125 pounds per cubic foot depending on degree of compaction and moisture content and that the rule of thumb is 100 pounds per cubic foot. With the dimensions of the room being sixteen feet by twenty and the sand having an average depth of three inches, we removed 80 cubic feet of sand. That makes 8000 pounds. In the UK, we reckon there are 2240 pounds to a ton (2000 in the US), so we shifted three and a half tons of sand, plus the tiles. No wonder I was knackered!

2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Just be glad you didn't have to remove it all in one trip

Brighton Pensioner said...

But I did! After Tom and I had bagged the sand, I carried it all downstairs during the week we were there, although I grant you I did spread it over a couple of days.