Tuesday 12 January 2010

It started!

Having spent some time yesterday clearing snow and ice from part of the drive (I gave up when my back did the same), this morning I decided to clear some of the snow off the car in the hope that the doors weren't frozen shut and I could get in and try to start the engine. The gods were smiling on me as I opened the door easily and the engine started at the first attempt - the first time it has been started for a week. I suppose the layer of snow (there are still eight inches of the stuff on the roof) acted as a blanket and kept the engine warmer, or less cold, than it would have been without the snow. I then spent more time clearing the drive. There is just the stretch across the pavement and out into the wheel tracks in the road to go, so with a bit of luck I might manage to get the Old Bat to hospital tomorrow to have her wrist strapped.

Our local radio station yesterday announced that there was a four-foot long icicle at Crawley, a town some 20 miles north. I've measured our biggest one as best I can - if I open the window to do so I will knock it down - and I make it almost 4' 6", certainly more than 4'. It can be seen to the left of the window in this picture. We haven't bothered to call the radio station.

No comments: