Sunday 2 May 2010

A broken promise

I had promised myself that I would make no further mention of the election until next Friday when I will announce whether or not my predictions have come to pass. But I'm sorry, self, I am going to break that promise. I really would prefer not to do so, but yesterday I was told something that was just too witty for me to allow to slip by without comment. At least, I thought so. It concerns the visit that the Prime Minister made last Thursday to the Northern mill-town of Rochdale. Well, it used to be - a mill-town, I mean: it still is in the north of England. While he was there, a life-long supporter of the Labour party, widow Gillian Duffy, was introduced to Mr Brown and asked questions that many, many people in the country are also asking - about the level of immigration, about plans to tackle the national budget deficit and about the cost of a university education. Nothing untoward in that, one would think. But just watch his reaction afterwards when he forgets that he still has a live microphone attached to his lapel.



And so to what I was told yesterday morning. Or rather, what I was asked. The question was, what does BIGOT stand for?

The answer: Brown Is Going On Thursday.

There are many who hope that prediction will come true.

No comments: