Saturday 1 May 2010

Double whammies?

There is one thing about this election that has me puzzled. OK, there are plenty of things that leave me ranting or just plain apathetic, but I am puzzled by one thing. I know of two members of the European Parliament (MEPs) who are standing for election as members of our own national Parliament (MPs). What puzzles me is how on earth they think they can manage to sit in Brussels and Strasbourg (yes, the European Parliament actually moves between the two cities!) and in Westminster at the same time? Surely they can't give proper attention to both jobs? And will they be able to claim salaries and expenses from both?

Seems to me there's something wrong somewhere.

2 comments:

Cllr Ben Duncan said...

Great question - but a very simple answer.

If elected as MP for Brighton Pavilion, the Greens' MEP seat in South-East England (it was the party that was elected, not any individual) will pass immediately to the next person on the Green Party's candidate list for the 2009 EU election, Brighton and Hove City Councillor Keith Taylor.

So we'd end up with Caroline Lucas as MP for Brighton Pavilion, Keith Taylor as an MEP for South-East England - and a vacancy on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Thank you, Ben. As you say, a simple answer. I thought there must be one!