Sunday 19 September 2010

Protest the Pope?

The Pope has been making a state visit to Britain over the past few days. Just why he qualifies for a state visit is beyond me. He is, of course, the head of a world-wide church, but the Vatican City surely doesn't really qualify as a state so, to my mind at least, he doesn't qualify as a head of state.

There have been marches demonstrating protests against his visit based on a number of factors: his (and the Catholic Church's) attitude to birth control, homosexuality, celibacy of priests, women priests, child abuse by priests. I am not a Catholic and I strongly disagree with much of the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church - but I also disagree with holding protests about his visit.

I would quote Voltaire - to both sides: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Did you see this?

Brighton Pensioner said...

No, not until just now.

Suldog said...

Actually, it is considered a sovereign state. Having said that, I was a Catholic, but don't consider myself one now, and The Pope has been woeful in response to some of the travails of his church.