Wednesday 20 October 2010

The fortune that isn't


Amongst the papers and other bits and pieces that I cleared out of my mother's house after she died was an envelope bearing a couple of Hong Kong stamps and the words "Souvenir First Day Cover". This had been sent to my father from Fook Tai & Co of Hong Kong, who I assume were among the suppliers of food for the ship. I know nothing about the value of stamps but had always wondered when I came across this envelope from time to time if it was worth anything. Every time I have come across it I have told myself to go to a stamp dealer to check, but somehow I have never remembered to do so. The I came across a company which provides free valuations over the internet. I scanned the envelope and duly uploaded it. The eagerly-awaited reply came back within 24 hours. I looked at it lying there in my inbox for some time before I could click to open it. Was this like one of those old master pictures that one hears of just left in somebody's attic? Was I in line for a £50,000 pay out? Alas no. The cover would - if in better condition - fetch about £10. It was suggested that a less discerning buyer might be found on eBay.

Oh well, I suppose I can't miss what I've never had, but it would have made a nice story.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am from Hong Kong. This pair of stamps represent one of the most important moment of Hong Kong - victory in WWII, freed from Japanese rule and back to the British Empire. Maybe they are not famous on the market, but the underneath meaning is invaluable.

Ref: http://www.bigwhiteguy.com/archive/2014/01/the_victory_stamp/