Wednesday 29 December 2010

Agatha Christie

Over the past few weeks there has been a positive glut of her on television, mostly Poirot but with a bit of Miss Marple thrown in here and there. I idly remarked to the Old Bat that her estate (Miss Christie's, not the Old Bat's) must be doing a bit more than coining it in: raking it in, in fact. Especially as The Mousetrap, written by AC, is still running to full houses in the West End. This is the world's longest running stage show of any type, having opened in London in November 1952. Then I discovered in Wikipedia that AC gave the rights to her grandson, so presumably he is doing quite well as a result. I also discovered that the Wiki entry gives the game away and names the murderer, which I think is a dastardly thing to do.

Not that I am ever likely to see the play. I can just about remember the last time I went to a theatre. My daughter too us to see Miss Saigon when we visited her in Birmingham some years ago. I should think the time before that was when we were in New York and got cheap tickets for 42nd Street, which may well have been playing on the street of the same name. As for the cinema - I really can't remember when I last went. Probably when it cost about thirty shillings!

No comments: