Wednesday 5 January 2011

Christmas dinner

The Lions' Christmas dinner meeting due to have been held last month had to be cancelled because of the snow so we will be holding it tonight. As today is the twelfth day of Christmas this will be my last Christmas dinner of this season rather than the first of next (if you follow my drift). I have put together a little quiz by way of entertainment - a sheet of pictures of various Lions in their younger days with a few others thrown in just to muddy the waters a bit. Here are a couple of the pictures:




Yes, the one on the left is me, taken a few days before my third birthday, probably to send to my father who was at the time serving in the Far East in the Royal Navy. My mother had a thing about smocking (the stitching on my shirt) and although she couldn't do it, she knew somebody who could and every suitable garment had to receive the treatment. The one on the right is not me but a well-known entertainer. Can you guess who?

Then tomorrow morning I will be attending what promises to be an interesting meeting. Hove Rotary Club have organised an annual classic motorcycle run for the last thirteen years but have decided they can't do it any longer. They have asked Brighton Lions if we would like to take it over and tomorrow some of us will meet with a few Rotarians to see what is involved. I have to say I'm curious as to why they didn't offer the event to another Rotary Club - there are at least three others in the city - or run it as a joint venture with another Rotary Club. But perhaps they tried and nobody wanted to know. Maybe I will find out tomorrow.

4 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

The one on the right looks a little bit like a TV character from my childhood, Fireman Frank.

Brighton Pensioner said...

No, but I'll give you a clue. He's Australian.

quedula said...

Rolf Harris? Do I get a prize?

Brighton Pensioner said...

Rolf Harris it is. Award yourself a metaphorical coconut.