Sunday 1 May 2011

May Day

As I walked down the woods this morning with the dog, I was mentally drafting what I would write today. It was a longish piece about why I try to avoid going to Torquay, inspired by the news that their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, or Prince William and Princess Catherine as the Court has indicated they are happy for William and Kate to be called, have deferred their honeymoon and that William will be back at work this week. Then, as I arrived back home, I noticed that this rose is just in bloom. As today is May Day and the rose is Maigold it seems far more appropriate just to post a picture of it. If you look closely you may see a small drop of water left from the rain we had last night. Although it was welcome, we still need a lot more. This rose is the earliest one in our garden to come into bloom and it has a second bloom in late August and September. The bush is getting old - it must have been there for the better part of 30 years if not more.

No comments: