Monday 6 June 2011

The King's Speech

I'm not a film-goer, by which I mean that I don't go to the cinema. I used to, in fact I went most weeks when I was in my late teens as it was a good place to take my girl friend. (And I refuse to expand on that.) I can't remember when I last went to the cinema or what film I saw. It might even have been The Sound of Music, which just shows how long ago it must have been. There are very few films these days that seem sufficiently attractive to persuade me to break my habit. Even if there were one, the Old Bat's lack of mobility would make a cinema trip a little difficult with all the stairs involved. Just recently, though, there has been one film I would have liked to see: The King's Speech. And I watched it last night. The Old Bat bought me the DVD for my birthday last month (either way up, if you must know, which is bingo lingo for 69, so I am fast approaching my allotted three score and ten) and we watched that yesterday. I wasn't disappointed. I can't remember when two hours last passed so quickly (alright, if you want to split hairs it was 113 minutes) and I thought Colin Firth's performance was well-deserving of his Oscar.

7 comments:

The Broad said...

My husband and I made a rare visit to the cinema to see it a few months ago now. We really enjoyed it and it's nice to see a film can be made that doesn't cost 10's of millions and yet won oscars for best picture, best director and best actor! My Mom received it as a birthday present and we watched it last week and she loved it. She told me she remembers the Kind making that speech at the end of the film. I never realized that it was listened to in the States as well as Britain!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Grandma Skip and I can't remember the last time we went to a movie, either... other than its been more than 27 years.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

BTW - did you look at the quote?

Brighton Pensioner said...

There's no need to rub it in, Skip! That's positively unfriendly.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Skip, There is, I suppose, some significance in the 27 years?

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Brian - I was alluding to the irony... nothing more.
As for the significance of 27 years; it goes back to before she and I met. We have been lots of places together, but never the movies.

#1Nana said...

I loved it too. I was fortunate to go to the movies with all my family last Christmas to see it. My father, who is 84, told us all the story of where he was when he heard the speech...hunndled around the radio with his family. It was a rare opportunity to hear about his life in England all those years ago.

Gave me some insight into the reasons why the queen mother was so respected.