Thursday 30 June 2011

Today's cryptic quiz


The building in the background of the picture was constructed about 200 years ago as stables for the Prince Regent. What is the one word connection between those stables, the 2012 American Presidential election and a Swedish pop group?

Perhaps a small clue would not go amiss. The stables are now known as the Dome and are a concert hall. It was here that the Eurovision Song Contest was held back in 1974.

Still confused? Well, the winners of that 1974 competition were Abba, the Swedish pop group.

And what do they have to do with American elections? Nothing. But Michelle Bachmann announced her hope to stand as a candidate in next year's election...


in her birth town - Waterloo.


And the song that won Abba the Eurovision Song Contest was - Waterloo.

Yes, I know, That is a convoluted rather than cryptic train of thought but it's how my mind works and I can't help it.

4 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

There are far too many candidates for me to track down trivia like that.
Besides, you didn't really leave much time for anyone to even say, "I don't know."


v-word = outspach

Brighton Pensioner said...

I couldn't wait to show off my knowledge!

The Broad said...

An example of a British conundrum and possibly even a cross-word puzzle clue ... You don't write crosswords puzzles by any chance -- I know you write the occasional 'cross words' ! ;-)

Brighton Pensioner said...

Crossword puzzles? No, Broad, not me. I try to solve them but I'm not clever enough to set them