Thursday 7 July 2011

Modesty or false modesty?

Since neither of my readers is likely ever to ask me my opinion, I suppose I had better take it upon myself to give it anyway. If I were to be asked, I would, I think, have to describe myself as a pretty modest, unassuming sort of a chap as chaps go. At least, that is how I have always thought of myself. I'm not the sort to push myself forward when there are others who want to get to the bar as well, which generally means I go thirsty for longer than anyone else in the pub. I don't claim to be especially good at anything, certainly not any sporting activity, although I do think I have a modest talent for some things. Ironing socks, for example. Which is all very well. But then I stop and reassess. Yes, I do have a certain talent. I can string a few words and sentences together and occasionally come up with something interesting or amusing. I was actually surprised how well received was my first effort at writing a book although I don't kid myself that it will ever be accepted by a publisher. And just occasionally, very occasionally, I manage to take a photograph that could almost have been taken by a professional.

I think most of us need from time to time to step back and take a look at ourselves as I have just done. Is our talent really as good as we think or are we kidding ourselves? One the other hand, modesty is all well and good, but false modesty does nobody any favours.

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Yes, you do know how to string the words together. That's why I show up here (and comment occasionally.) I do try to limit the links on my sidebar to those folks who are usually worth the visit (and who link to me, also) so, since you're there, I think your writing is well worth my time.

Hope that helps! :-)

The Broad said...

What I like about your writing is that it sounds authentic -- like there is a real person behind the words.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Thank you both, most sincerely, but please believe me when I say I was most definitely not fishing for compliments. I have enough slf-confidence not to need to do that. One thing I must try to improve, though, is my proof-reading. I publish far too many typos!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Whatever you do, don't fix the typos. It'll only discourage the rest of us;-)

BTW - by my count, there are four of us...