Tuesday 30 August 2011

In the garden

I had a little moan yesterday about the weather we have enjoyed (or not enjoyed) this summer. It has certainly not helped the vegetable garden, although one plus is that I have had to use the hose only sparingly. More sparingly than usual, I suppose, as on the whole the weather has been cool rather than wet. I have recounted already how the rhubarb, garlic, onions, parsnips and peas have done less well than I would have hoped. Fortunately, the blackcurrants did well but sod's law came into play as they are far from my favourite fruit. The runner beans are growing - fitfully. I think I must sow a different variety next year. (The eternal optomist, that's me.) And the French beans have been eaten by slugs but at least the raspberries are coming on stream very nicely - big and juicy. I grow an autumn-fruiting variety and they seem to get more flavour as the year passes. The blackberries in the garden hedge are also good this year, and I really must pick the apples before we go away at the end of next week. It is another bumper crop this year.

At least there are some good points.

No comments: