Thursday 22 September 2011

Cherchez la femme

Shortly after I had posted my comment about the Old Bat's car failing the MOT yesterday, the garage rang again. The man was most apologetic but had good news. He had picked up the wrong piece of paper: the car had NOT failed after all. I just hope he didn't have to ring somebody else to tell them that his earlier phone call to say their car had passed was a mistake.

I made a mistake myself the other day but have turned it into an opportunity. When downloading an updated version of my virus protector I inadvertently left ticked the box to download Google Chrome so for the last couple of days I have been trying it out. It's OK, mostly, but doesn't seem to like uploading pictures into Blogger. I'm quite happy to stick with Firefox.

And so to my title - "Cherchez la femme" - and "l'homme" as well! I knew that one set of great-great-grandparents were William Bolton and Phoebe Green and that they married in 1850. I'm not sure how I came to the conclusion that Phoebe was the daughter of William Green and Phoebe Sexton. I might have made an assumption based on information gleaned from the International Genealogical Index (hosted by the Mormon church) or somebody else had made that assumption and I copied it from them. For some reason, I had never bothered to order a copy of the 1850 Bolton/Green marriage certificate. I did so just before we went to France and it was waiting for me on my return. This threw everything back into the melting pot as it showed than Phoebe Green was the daughter of Timothy Green, not William! As Shakespeare had king Henry V say, "The game's afoot".

No comments: