Thursday 8 September 2011

Interim report


The other day I promised to investigate pub signs because I had the feeling that there are few humorous or artistic signs these days. Naturally, the very first one I saw, the pub nearest to home, proves me wrong. This is really quite a clever sign but does need some explanation.

The pub, The Long Man, stands at the end of a road called Wilmington Way. Wilmington is a village in Sussex lying at the foot of the South Downs. In the steep slope of the Downs above the village the figure of a tall man was carved in the chalk centuries ago. The Long Man of Wilmington is, in fact, the tallest chalk figure in Europe.

As you can see, the little man in the pub sign is a representation of the Long Man of Wilmington.

But the lion? A simple explanation: the pub is one belonging to the Golden Lion Group of pubs.

I shall keep looking.

No comments: