Tuesday 4 October 2011

How green was my valley

"Was" is - or soon may be - the operative word.


I try not to get involved in political debate on the blog, preferring to keep my political leanings to myself for reasons that I really am completely unable to explain. But today I a making an exception. (I made the rule so I reckon I can break it.)

The Government's draft National Planning Policy Framework proposes that local authorities should in future approve plans for development which are likely to lead to erosion of our countryside.


A few weeks ago I took a tongue in cheek pop at the country's favourite American, Bill Bryson. Well, maybe he's not the favourite, but he is quite popular. He is also an ardent Anglophile and Chairman of the Campaign to Protect Rural England. Of course, his input into this particular project of theirs may have minimal.


So if you, like me, want to protect the countryside such as in the photos above, please log on to the CPRE web site and send a letter from there to the monister responsible and another to your MP. We have just two weeks left to do so.

(The pictures above were all taken in our around Brighton. They show the Waterhall valley, the village of Fulking taken from the top of the Devil's Dyke, and the South Downs behind Patcham. More like these on my daily photo blog Stanmer and Around.)

(How Green Was My Valley is the title of a book by Richard Llewellyn published in 1939 and filmed in 1941.)

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Ah, I'll have to find that older post, as I love both your country and Mister Bryson. In any case, I wish you luck in preserving the country as it is. Shame to ever have such beauty destroyed.