Saturday 24 November 2012

Pop goes the weasel

Now I come to think of it, there is a degree of similarity between a weasel and a meerkat, in shape if nothing else.  But while at first I found those meerkats advertising a price comparison web site amusing, I am now beginning to get ever so slightly bored by them.  Of course, one of the joys of recording programmes on ITV is that one can fast-forward through the adverts when watching the show.  We don't get that with BBC as there are no adverts on their channels - except for forthcoming "attractions".  Oddly enough, when zipping through the commercial breaks, we often spot something that looks as though it might by faintly amusing.  I then spend an inordinate length of time going backwards and forwards to find the offending advert - only to find that it is not in the least amusing or interesting.

The meerkat adverts did start out by being amusing but they have, in my opinion, gone past their best before date.  I do find some of the Specsaver ads worth a smile.  There's one which shows an old couple sitting down with sighs of relief as she passes him a sandwich.  Here it is:


It still makes me smile, the more so because a couple I see at the meetings of the blind club remind me of them.

Years ago there was a series of ads for Nescafe which became quite a cult - even more so than the meerkats.  It was almost a soap opera as we followed the development of a relationship between a man and a woman who owned flats in the same block.  I don;t recall anything quite approaching that in the years since.

One thing that does puzzle me about television programmes is how the scriptwriters manage to fill exactly 29 minutes or what ever.  I suppose if the truth be know, they don't.  It's the producers who trim little bits or extend other parts such as the pregnant pauses or the credits or add a forthcoming attraction advert to take up another 15 seconds who should get the credit for filling the time so precisely.

But on the subject of adverts, I have noticed that some of those for face creams or other beauty products have started giving more information.  Instead of saying (as they used to) that 86% of women noticed that their skin was softer or whatever, they now qualify that by saying 86% of 159 women, which rather takes the gloss off the claim.

Why do women buy all this stuff anyway?

And on that note I think I had better finish the drivel and post a picture!

~~~~~

On the opposite bank from Oudon (see yesterday's picture) is the village of Champtoceaux. There is a terrific view of the River Loire from the public gardens on top of the bluff.

No comments: