Thursday 7 February 2013

All the Cs

I don't seem to have found much time for reading during the past few weeks, or even months.  I'm not entirely sure just why that is; probably too many interesting programmes on television (now there's a wonder!) and too many evenings not at home.  It is only in the evenings that I feel able to sit down with a book, except when we are in France.  Daytime reading, like daytime television, seems to me to be indolence.  I know there is no logic in that, especially as I am more than happy to fritter away the hours reading blogs and other interesting bits on the internet.  Perhaps it is something to do with the fact that before I retired reading was actually part of my job.  The newspaper for which I worked published reader offers which were usually books, and I got to choose the books so I considered I should read the possible selections before deciding which to run with.

But yesterday I actually sat and read for an hour or more during the evening.  I have just borrowed Michael Connolly's latest - The Black Box - from the library and am now half way through.  Another "C" author I enjoy is Bernard Cornwell and I have recently read his latest - 1356 - about which more another day - tomorrow, possibly.

~~~~~

And so to the music of the moment.  Coincidentally, right now I am listening to the plangent notes of the second movement of Mozart's clarinet concerto, thereby keeping to the C theme.

~~~~~

Still with the Cs in today's photo.  I have only recently discovered Crowhurst Corner despite this stretch of ancient chalk grassland being council-owned and open access land.  I had always thought it was used by a tenant farmer but no.  The council occasionally graze sheep there.  The views from here across the Downs are hardly idyllic but at least the Hollingbury industrial estate is pretty well hidden in a valley.


1 comment:

The Broad said...

I do find that I rarely read in the evening -- unless it's in bed and that not so often at the moment. Funny thing though is that when I do read later in the day, I quite enjoy it... When in France I read during the day and in the evening and before going to sleep! That's what not having an Internet connection can do!!!