Friday 2 August 2013

What kind of cheese was that?

I'm sure I can't be the only one who thinks of a suitably witty retort minutes, or sometimes hours, too late.  It happened to me again only the other day.

I should explain that my dog, Fern, an English springer spaniel, is white with brown patches.  I say white, but of course when she gets wet, the white looks a bit grey.  She also has long fur.  I was walking with her through the woods the other day, along a narrow path through the denser part of Stanmer Great Wood, when a woman with two dogs came towards us.  Fern, as is her wont when faced with other dogs, went into the undergrowth and lay down.  As the woman came up to me she remarked that she had thought Fern was a sheep, not having seen the brown patches, and wondered what on earth a sheep was doing up in the woods.  I told her she would be quite alright when the men in white coats arrived.

It was only later that I thought of a better response: should have gone to Specsavers.  Of course, all I'm doing is introducing what I consider to be one of the best television adverts for years.  It doesn't hurt, either, that when I do the blind club transport run, there is a couple at the meeting that reminds me of these two.


3 comments:

Buck said...

Heh. The commercial was great!

Anonymous said...

I notice that several of your posts have no comments. That does not mean they are not being read! I enjoy your writings and learn something new every time I visit. Great commercial by the way!

Yours from across the pond, Don F
(and a fellow LION)

Brighton Pensioner said...

Thanks, guys - and good to have you drop by, Don.