Thursday 24 October 2013

Things beyond my ken

Why it is that I can be wide awake at 5.00am but sleeping like the dead when the alarm goes off two hours later.
Why the National Black Police Association is not considered racist.
Why I can breath quite happily through my nose until the dentist starts working in my mouth.
Why I seem to have turned into a right royal grouch this week.

~~~~~

Funny how some weeks there seems to be so much to do.  I was out Monday evening (Lions toad in the hole competition), Tuesday there was a visit to the butcher, then shopping at the supermarket, yesterday at the dentist (nothing needed except a visit to the hygenist) and deliver fireworks tickets around the town, this afternoon my brother and sister-in-law will be with us, tomorrow I have bingo in the evening (no, I don't play.  The Lions run sessions at retirement homes.)  The usual visit to the MS centre tomorrow morning with a trip to the supershop while the Old Bat is hyperoxygenating (that's a good word).  Somehow I have to fit in finishing the Lions newsletter, deal with the rules changes for the Housing Society - which seems to involve the Financial Standards Authority in a complicated way, collect spectacles from Asda - the list seems almost endless.  But I suppose it keeps me out of mischief.

~~~~~

Sausages for dinner yesterday, some we bought from the butcher on Tuesday.  He makes his own and they are very good.  In the past we have tried his Lincolnshire, pork and garlic and various other varieties.  These were pork and chestnut, a first.  Just as good as the others.

~~~~~

I have started reading my first Tom Clancy book, Red Storm Rising.  It's big, isn't it?  What with everything else to be done, I seem to manage only four or five pages a day.  It could be a while before I finish it.

~~~~~

Royal Crescent, Brighton, has been home to a number of famous people, including Sir Laurence Olivier and Joan Plowright.  According to Wikipedia, it was "built in the late 18th and early 19th century as a speculative development on cliffs east of Brighton by a wealthy merchant, the 14 lodging houses formed the town's eastern boundary until about 1820. It was the seaside resort's first planned architectural composition, and the first built intentionally to face the sea. The variety of building materials used include black glazed mathematical tiles - a characteristic feature of Brighton's 18th-century architecture."

1 comment:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"Why I seem to have turned into a right royal grouch this week."

I think you answered your own question.
In short, so much to do in so little time that you haven't any time for yourself.

Yep, Clancy wrote big books and they're page turners.