Thursday 28 November 2013

GSOH

I sometimes wonder, when I glance at the personal ads for "friends" - which i do from time to time although very rarely as I am lucky enough not to be in the situation of needing to advertise .

Now, where was I?  Oh yes.  Just what is a GSOH?  Yes, I know it's an acronym for Good Sense Of Humour, but how does one define it?  I would have thought that just what comprises a good sense of humour (and, Blogger, that word is quite correct when spelled - or spelt - with a U) differs from one person to another.  And it can change as we get older.  Sometimes.

As a child, I was wont to practically fall of my chair when reading the "Beano" - which was why I always sat on the floor to read said comic.  Nowadays, the antics of the Bash Street Kinds or Dennis the Menace leave me cold.

As a teenager, I thought the Goons hilarious.  Yes, maybe even today I would crack a smile, but I still prefer something a little different.

What I cannot find at all humorous are some of the supposedly comic programmes broadcast on television these days.  "Mrs Brown's Boys" and "Live at the Apollo" are just a waste of time as far as I am concerned.  Of course, for someone of my age, there was a golden age of comedy ushered in by television sitcoms such as "Steptoe and Son".  You can tell I'm getting old when I say, "They don't make 'em like that any more".

Like this classic from Morecambe and Wise:


No comments: