Wednesday 19 March 2014

"This time next year...

..we'll be millionaires."

So said - frequently - Del Trotter in the sit-com Only Fools and Horses.  Of course, it never happened.

[Classic comedy following the misadventures of two wheeler-dealer brothers Del Boy and Rodney Trotter who scrape their living by selling dodgy goods believing that next year they will be millionaires.]

But it has come to pass!  Not for Del Boy or Rodney, admittedly, but a certain Neil Trotter won £107 million in last week's Euromillions Lottery.  Neil, a car mechanic, comes from south London, just like the fictional Trotters.  Personally, I think, in fact I know that if I had won £107 million (actually, it is very nearly £108 million, but what's £0.9 million when we're talking about those kind of figures?) I would have wanted to keep my name out of the papers.  I don't think I would even want to win that sort of money.  Even if that is invested at just 1% interest, the annual return would be a million!  Of course, there would be tax to pay on that income, but even so!

I suppose that if I did manage to win that sort of money, I would be able to make some pretty substantial donations to charities in which I was interested.  But all the same, I am more than happy as I am, thank you very much.  £107 million is one headache I do not want.

~~~~~

Another shop window snapped on my rare trip into town on Monday.


4 comments:

joeh said...

Most people would disagree with you...I think most people would be wrong.

Buck said...

I agree with you on winning the lottery. I've read a significant number of stories about lives ruined and lottery winners dying prematurely. Then again, I suppose there are an equal number of positive stories out there, too.

In re: the photo. I couldn't possibly walk by that place without going in... for at least one. :-)

Brighton Pensioner said...

I thought of you as I took the pic, Buck - and above the window they claim to have 120 different beers!

Jenny Woolf said...

I think his biggest problem is going to be the millions of scroungers who suddenly remember he was their best friend.