Thursday 18 September 2014

R Day . . .

or R Day not going to vote for independence?

(Sorry - I just couldn't resist that.)

Referendum Day, when the Scots, and those living in Scotland who are not Scots but are entitled to vote - honorary Scots? - vote to decide whether or not to remain a part of the United Kingdom.  There has been a touch of overkill the last couple of weeks with page after page devoted to the matter in the newspapers (I suppose they have to find something to fill the white spaces between the adverts) and almost half the BBC news team in Glasgow.  I imagine the same thing has happened to the ITV news team and others, but I don't see those news programmes.

I feel desperately sorry that there has been so much noise and fury - and, yes, rancour - instead of what should have been a calm and measured debate.  According to the newspapers I have seen, the Yes Team, as they are known, those urging people to vote 'yes' for Scotland to be an independent nation, have been the more vociferous, even to the extent of bullying and intimidating.  Those reports have been dismissed by some, possibly even many, as lies.  But sufficient unto the day etc etc

Just when the result is expected is something I don't know.  I don't recall ever being told, but maybe I just didn't pay attention.  Either way, there is going to be trouble ahead and it will be expensive trouble.  The result will also affect everybody in this country in so many different ways.  Nothing can ever be the same again.

But on a more positive note, whatever the result of the referendum, the views across the Downs will still be there.  We have been enjoying some glorious late summer weather this week and i took this picture the other afternoon while walking the dog.  The temperature was in the mid-20s and there was a touch of haze in the distance.


1 comment:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I think whichever way the vote goes now, there are difficult and expensive times ahead. It should never have happened, and I worry about the lies being told by both campaigns as I see my country potentially being torn apart. You are right - some things will never be the same again. But I like your positive note: the beautiful downs will still be there. And I'm thinking of smuggling tons of Tablet across the border before Salmond slaps a duty on it.