Wednesday 25 March 2015

Perseverance

Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.
Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784) 

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will; and the other from a strong won't.
Henry Ward Beecher (1813 - 1887)

I have never been quite sure if the Old Bat is obstinate or persevering; perhaps the answer is both - in equal measure.  However, this past week  she has demonstrated her perseverance.  When we came back from France at the beginning of last week, she was well into developing a cold.  Today, she has finally succeeded in passing it on to me!

Actually, she must be feeling pretty rough because she has asked me to cook dinner.  ME!  COOK!  This calls for my version of penne a la matriciana.

And the cold calls for my favourite cure: fresh air and scotch.  I've had the fresh air - a couple of hours out with the dog - and I have promised myself a scotch this evening.

No comments: