Tuesday 15 December 2015

Where did that week go?

It seems quite impossible that the OB and I have been back in England for a week - and I have neither read others' blogs nor blogged myself!  I suppose there are two reasons for that.  First - and, this week at least, pre-eminent (a word which Blogger fails to recognise) - the sheer pressure of things to be done, mainly Lions-related.  But there is, as well, the small matter of habit.  I find that I get into the habit of doing things - and then, once the habit is broken, it can be difficult to get back.

Anyway, I was walking through the wooded part of our local park this morning in the softly falling rain when I was brought up short.  I stopped and listened.  Yes, that was a blackbird I had heard singing.  And there was another!

I'm not a great naturalist or ornithologist, but I thought that the only bird one would hear singing at this time of the year is the robin.  Other songbirds don't start until much nearer the nesting season.  Of course, we are getting near to the shortest day, but the worst part of the winter is usually January or February.  Surely those two blackbirds don't really think that spring is just around the corner?  It would be great if they are right!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I wonder what's going on too BP. The Magnolia tree in the churchyard up the road from me is starting to flower and that doesn't usually happen until May!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"...once the habit is broken, it can be difficult to get back.'

Unless you're speaking of bad habits.

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't know about blackbirds but I heard one not long ago. It made me think of spring which is wy I noticed it. It's warmer in the city though and I think that many birds get a bit confused by that.