Friday 13 May 2016

If it's not one thing . . .

I doubt anyone in the UK who is compos mentis can be unaware of the forthcoming (I refuse to use the non-word 'upcoming') referendum.  We have been subjected to diatribes and arrant nonsense from both the Remain and the Leave camps and - fortunately - a certain amount of sense from both sides as well.  What does irritate me (and, I suspect, many other voters) is that both sides state as facts what will or will not happen after the referendum.  Whatever the result.  For goodness' sake, not one of those absolutely certain people has a crystal ball!

One thing in particular disappoints me.  The Prime Minister promised quite specifically that if his negotiations failed to bring about considerable change, he would lead a campaign for us to leave the EU.  Well, either his definition of 'considerable' is considerably different from mine or he has broken his promise.  That is what I find disappointing.  I expected better of him.

But still, there is one benefit that we have received from all the hoohah.  The American Presidential election has been pushed off the top spot in the television news and off the front page of my newspaper!  I get terribly confused by the American electoral system with its caucuses, colleges and primaries.  Somebody did once try to explain it to me - I think it was Skip - but I ended up more confused than ever.  It's a bit like trying to understand American football.  I'm just glad that we don't have either of the presidential front-running hopefuls as potential prime ministers of this country.  Not that some of ours aren't just as bad!

2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

No wonder you're confused by out electoral system, if I explained it.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

No wonder you're confused by our electoral system, if I explained it.